Providing help for those in need
St. Joseph’s Food Bank is the official registered food bank for Mission, BC, is a member of Food Bank BC and registered as a service provider by Food Banks Canada. St. Joseph’s Food Bank is supported by community members, business and service organizations as well as the Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver and the District of Mission.
A dedicated team of caring volunteers drives the needed food bank service. It is our passion to help those in need that reflects the caring heart of Mission BC.
Our goal is to provide caring and needed service to our community through the food bank.
A Year’s Snapshot 2014
In 2014 4376 people were helped with the gift of food meeting the needs of Mission through St. Joseph’s Food Bank.
Of that total, 2936 were adults, 1415 children and 25 infants.
The total worth of food was $563,962 distributed to those in need in Mission.
- In 1990 St. Joseph’s started food distribution to the Mission community.
- In 1996 St. Joseph’s continued to grow and to meet the need, and soon had 6 volunteers to run the service.
- In 2008 St. Joseph’s Food Bank became a member of the BC Food Bank Association and became the registered food bank for MISSION. Today St. Joseph’s Food Bank is also a member of Food Banks Canada.
- In 2008 the realities of growing community needs showed that St. Joseph’s Parish church basement was no longer a practical service site and that new space was needed.
- In December 2009 the Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver made space on their property available for the construction of a new and needed dedicated food bank building to better serve the community.
- In June 2011, the District of Mission approved the building plans.
- In September 2011 the final site preparation started
- In January 2012 the foundation was completed, and electricity was hooked up July 2012.
- In June 2013 the outside building structure was completed including doors and windows.
- October 31, 2015 – The NEW St. Joseph’s Food Bank Building opens. Needed space at 32550 7th Ave. in Mission on St. Joseph’s Parish Church property.
Building project contact:
For more information on Emergency Hampers, Administration and Food Donations contact:
Food Bank Manager
St. Joseph’s Parish
604-425-0392 ext. 4